Monday, May 6, 2013

Discovering My Testimony

"All life demands struggle. Those who have everything given to them become lazy, selfish, and insensitive to the real values of life. The very striving and hard work that we so constantly try to avoid is the major building block in the person we are today." - Pope Paul VI.
 Well it's only been a few days since I emailed you all last so idk if I have much in the way of exciting news for this week lol. 

The fair was here this week and it was a little sad to not be able to go, but it wasn't going to help us fulfill any part of our purpose as missionaries so we couldn't. It makes sense but driving by the fair everyday was a temptation haha. 

I love the little moments that we have opportunities to serve people. Like one evening this week we were walking and there was a little old lady pushing herself along the sidewalk in her wheel chair. We started talking to her and eventually sang her a hymn in Spanish and then offered to (and did) push her home. It is amazing to me how hymns are such a HUGE part of my mission. When we sing it always invites the Spirit in so strong. I wish I could sing better and didn't go flat (that's what I have been told it is called lol) but you know the Spirit apparently doesn't care that I am tone deaf. It is truly amazing to me. She even asked us to come back to her home and sing her more songs. 

We have a few investigators with baptismal dates right now but the only one that is really solid is a 9 year old girl. Her family are all members but have been kind of inactive. She is quiet and I imagine similar to how I was when the missionaries taught me when I was her age and preparing to be baptized. 

We were able to go out and do several hours of finding the other day. I was laughing when we contacted into a street called Quail street. After three hours in the blistering heat, with sweat dripping down and soaking into my backpack, we had had little success. Maybe we said prayers with 3 people and one of them was a preacher of a different church who turned around and then prayed for us. Then the very last house we knocked on was a family of 5 and they were amazing. So receptive. I can't wait to go back and teach them. The Lord truly has blessings without measure prepared for each of us if we will just ask him with faith believing that he will give them to us. 

I really enjoyed reading 2 Nephi 4 the Psalm of Nephi this week. If only I could be more like him. haha. 

I've also been thinking a lot about my testimony and where it stands. I think back to how I wanted nothing to do with church, about my rebellious years, about how I hated seminary and girls camp, how in college I was all but inactive. And then I think how did I end up on a mission? Why am I here? How did this happen? But I knew and know this is where the Lord wanted and wants me to be. I think a big part of me is still wondering why. But then we have these experiences and it becomes so crystal clear to me that I do have a testimony. I could not deny that. Joseph Smith was a true prophet of God. The Book of Mormon is the word of God and goes hand in hand with the Bible. Jesus Christ is my Savior, Redeemer, and Older Brother... How much I love him. I may not know everything or nearly close to everything I would like to know but those few simple truths are enough for me to keep doing what I am doing and go wherever the Lord wants me to go. 

3 Nephi 5:13 " Behold I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God, I have been called of him to declare his word among his people, that they might have everlasting life". 

Love,
Hermana Miller


No comments:

Post a Comment