Sunday, September 7, 2014

Letters, Missions, Prayers, and a WHOLE LOT of Emotions (May 20, 2014)

Hello Family and Friends! 

“If you are on the right path, it will always be uphill. The Lord is anxious to lead us to the safety of higher ground.” - President Henry B. Eyring

Ah it has been another packed week here. There is never enough time to write in detail about all the miracles we see or the things that happen. I think I finally understand why a hundredth part of the dealings and preachings of the Nephites are not recorded in the Book of Mormon.

We were able to find Rootbeer milk this week! Huzzah!!! Such happiness. I really hope I can find this beverage of heaven after the mission as well.  

Last preparation day we tried to go window shopping in Kerman. Well that turned out to not work so well. One Kerman doesn't really have too many choices to begin with and two the ones we were interested in were all closed. However we had already committed to this plan and so decided to try the sketchy looking Hispanic Clothing Store on the Corner. We walked in and as soon as we crossed the threshold the lady in there said (in Spanish of course), "YOU ARE MISSIONARIES FROM THE CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER-DAY SAINTS!!!". Confused my companion and I look at each other and make our way over to the counter. Turns out she is an inactive member from Madera who really needed us at that moment. She had literally just got the news that she and her family were losing their house. She felt abandoned by God and like nothing would work out. Then we walked in. She said that it was a sign that God has not forgotten her, and that things will be fine. Needless to say we didn't get a chance to see anything being sold in that store, but Heavenly Father knew what He was doing by sending us there and I was grateful to be a vessel in His hands. 

You know you are a missionary when you get "dropped" by someone's 6 year-old daughter for being "annoying". I would say that we achieved our goal of consistent follow-up there. 

"The silence was deafening".
Mark is still doing so well! We have seen many more miracles with him and his family this week!! We have been trying to get him to open up and be less shy and so we had left him homework to draw a picture before we came back. He drew a picture of Heavenly Father and said that he wants to see him someday. Which tied perfectly into our lesson that day about the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Ah BEST EVER! Then the next time he drew a picture of what he had learned in that next lesson. His drawing was of his Grandpa baptizing him and how that will lead to taking the sacrament and connects to the Book of Mormon!! Working with children is seriously my favorite. Another real miracle though was with the help of the Bishop and the ward helping the extended family to bridge their differences so all of the 4 cousins can be baptized together on this Sunday!! I am SO excited for them and so thrilled that they will all be able to share in this special moment together! Working with others like your ward leaders is so crucial. We could NOT have seen this miracle without their help! 

Embarrassing moment of the week... Talking about our mother's day phone calls at dinner one night with the Nunez Family and I said, "Voy a tener un bebe" Translated... "I am going to have a baby". I was trying to say "Va a tener un bebe" translated "My sister is going to have a baby". Spanish... I don't even know what else to say right now. haha 

I got my farewell envelope this week! That packet had a LOT of different emotions connected to it that I was not expecting. It reminded me of receiving my call packet. However it is definitively different. Even the envelope was a yellow instead of white... I think I am probably a little yellowed by now too and worn around the edges haha. But in all reality it is bittersweet. I have learned so much from my time and experiences here. As Sister VanWie put it while I held that unopened envelope, well aware of what it contained, staring at the packaging but internally reflecting and processing "The silence was deafening".
All the farewell invites I sent out

Speaking of mail! I don't know if I am going to have a chance to write anymore letters back before I get home. So I am sorry if you wrote me recently and don't get a letter out before I have a chance to call you up and talk on the phone. I have ran out of stamps (see the picture with all the farewell invitations) and well today we have to end our preparation day a few hours early to teach a few essential lessons. 

Miracle moment... long story short we were in the right place at the right time and I got to see Jordan from Dos Palos! I just love her and her family so much. It was just what I needed at that moment, and helped me to feel of God's awareness of me as an individual. PLUS, she told me that Howie (a recent convert that I taught) finished his first semester at BYU-Idaho and is at home preparing to go on a mission!!! He hit's his year mark in August! I don't think I have ever heard such good news in my whole life. 

Another wonderful moment this week came while we were teaching Candido and Esperanza. He never would pray and we had been going over there and trying everything we could to teach and help them. Well this time we didn't give up on getting him to pray. It probably took us at least 40 minutes and I had to have him repeat after me, but Candido said a prayer!!! After we said amen he just looked up and was beaming! He said that he felt so good. Ah, that was probably the best 1st prayer I have ever experienced as a missionary. Those are the moments that build faith and help remind me that what I am doing really matters. 

I also gave a talk in the English Sacrament this week. It was still intimidating even in my native language haha. But I was able to testify of the love that Heavenly Father has for us. I talked about remembering who we are and tied it into the Plan of Salvation. It went really well and I know that it was guided by the Spirit. 

I love you all so much, and hope that all is well. 

Mosiah 5:7-9

Love,
Hermana Miller 

No comments:

Post a Comment